Language: Homearrow (949) 540-6760 - Fax (619) 342-8224

Temporary Workers

There are a variety of visas available to U.S. employers seeking to employ foreign nationals temporarily in the United States.  Several H nonimmigrant visa categories used for this purpose include visas available for professional workers, temporary workers in shortage occupations, nurses, and trainees.  The H status is designed principally to help employers meet an immediate and temporary need for labor.

H Visas for Temporary Workers

H-1B Specialist/Professional

Designed to help employers in the United States meet an immediate and temporary need for labor in specialty occupations.

A baccaluareate or higher degree or its equivalent is normally the minimum entry requirement.

The job must be in a "specialty occupation," and the noncitizen must be qualified in the occupation, either by a degree or its equivalent.

Jobs include: architecture, engineering, mathematics, physical sciences, social sciences, medicine and health, education, business specialities, accounting, law, theology, and the arts.

This category is numerically limited with an annual cap of 65,000.

H-1B1 for Non-Immigrant Professionals from Chile and Singapore

H-1C for Registered Nurses in shortage areas

Nurse must have a full and unrestricted license to practice professional nursing in the country where she obtained her nursing education or that she received her nursing education in the United States

H-2A for Temporary or Seasonal Agricultural Workers

Applies to agricultural labor and services

H-2B for Temporary Non-Agricultural Workers

A viable option for many individuals seeking to work in the hospitality industry or companies looking to hire foreign nationals to work in a variety of hospitality occupations.

Examples include: cooks, servers, housekeepers, and front desk agents

H-3 for Trainees

Available for foreign nationals coming to the U.S. temporarily for training in an established company training program

Many multi-national employers may seek H-3 status for employees whom they wish to send to the United States for training and experience which the employee will use in his/her job upon completion of the training

H-4 for spouses and minor children accompanying a principal H worker or trainee

E-1 & E-2 Treaty Trader & Treaty Investor

E-1 "Treaty Traders" are persons engaging in substantial trade between the U.S. and their home country

E-2 "Treaty Investors" are persons coming to the U.S. to develop and direct enterprises in the U.S. in which they are investing a substantial amount of capital

L-1 Intracompany Transferees

Available for employees who have been employed by a multinational company abroad that seeks to open new business operations in the United States or transfer the employee to an existing business that is related to the company abroad

L-1A for Managers/Executives

L-1B for Employees with Specialized Company Knowledge

L-1 regulations also recognize a visa may be issued for opening a "new office"

O-1 Persons with "Extraordinary Ability" in the fields of science, art, education, business, or athletics

P visas for Internationally Recognized Athletes, Artists, or Members of Recognized Entertainment Groups